Pre-Application ChecklistEnsure completion of these steps prior to proceeding with an application
UBC offers most academic graduate programs at one of two campus locations: UBC Vancouver and UBC Okanagan. All programs on this website are located in the greater Vancouver area. The application system will show you graduate programs at the Okanagan campus in Kelowna which is about 400km away. Make sure you understand the distance between both campuses and that you apply to the right campus in the system.
Graduate program applications are highly targeted to individual programs with reference letters, statement of interest and program-specific questions, all customized for an individual program. While it is possible to apply to multiple programs (e.g. on both campuses, or related programs in similar fields), it is in your interest to investigate the best fit program and concentrate your efforts on your primary choice. Our degree program listing provides you with a lot of information in making that determination. Please note that we only accept one application for each program and session, i.e. you cannot submit multiple times to the same program. It is essential to get all your information correct before you submit an application.
UBC provides you with information about average times to completion per program, tuition fees per year, living cost estimates, as well as possible funding sources. These data combined with your personal financial information allows for creation of a budget plan. We strongly recommend developing a multi-year financial plan that helps you determine whether your educational goal is financially achievable.
Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies establishes the minimum academic requirements common to all applicants. The graduate program that you are applying to may have additional requirements. Make sure to review the program website to familiarize yourself with their requirements and processes.
Ensure that you have reviewed what documents, such as transcripts, test scores, etc., you will have to provide. For your initial application we only require scanned copies of original documents. If you receive an admission offer, you will have to provide hard copies (or secure electronic delivery).
An application fee will be collected as part of the submission of your application. The online application requires credit card payment via Visa or Mastercard. We also accept Interac/debit card payments from individuals with banking accounts at Royal Bank, or TD Canada Trust.
To apply to UBC, you must have a Campus-Wide Login (CWL). If you are unsure if you already have such an account, it is essential to check first. Do not create multiple CWL accounts as your application will be flagged by the system for manual review in such a case which will take extra time to resolve during which you cannot finish your application!
How to check for an existing CWL?
On the My Account page use the link below the login button to search for your CWL login name. You search by your email address. If it finds a CWL associated with your email address, you will receive an email from UBC. With your CWL login name you can afterwards reset your password.
The application form will collect information in the following sections:
- Use of information
- Personal & contact details
- Academic history
- Test scores
- Experience and interests
- Additional questions
- You will have the ability to page through the various sections of the application form. It is a good idea to review the full application before you begin in order to get a sense of what information is required from you.
- When navigating between sections your information will be saved during an active session. However, the application will log you out after a certain time, i.e. your active session ends. At that point you can lose data as it won't save when navigating to the next section. To avoid data loss, we recommend drafting answers in a Word document or other software. You can then paste long-form answers into the application system when ready.
- You should make sure to review your entire application before you proceed past the Application Summary page. After you proceed past this point, no further edits can be made to your application.
- Generally speaking if your application components are prepared please allow 2 hours to complete the online form.
Accessing the Application
- To apply to UBC, you must have a Campus-Wide Login (CWL). You'll need your CWL username and password to check the status of your application and access all of the University’s online systems throughout your time at UBC.
- You can only have one CWL account. If you create multiple CWL accounts, the application system will flag your account and you won't be able to complete required steps until after your account has been reviewed.
- If you have applied in previous years to UBC (at either the undergraduate or graduate level) or attended UBC via exchange agreements, visiting programs or similar, you most likely have a CWL account already. You have to retrieve your account details prior to applying.
- If you have an inactive CWL account, you need to contact UBC IT to re-activate it instead of creating a new account.
- Applicants will not be allowed to create more than one application for the same program in the same session. This means that you will be unable to delete your application to start a new one. Applicants should, therefore, be mindful that the information they enter onto the application form is accurate and complete. You can apply for multiple different programs on both campuses.